- On Sunday night, the San Antonio Spurs defeated the wand-less Washington Wizards, 94-80. The road victory prevented the Spurs from posting their first losing streak of the season, after Thursday night’s loss to the new-look, Orlando Magic. Admittedly, I am not an x’s and o’s guy, but I will chalk the Magic loss up to a combination of things - 1) The Magic were due for a victory after losing 8 of their previous 9 games. 2) After a 10-game win streak, the Spurs were due for a loss. 3) The Spurs were on the second night of a back-to-back. 4) The Spurs were the road team. 5) The Spurs wore their home white uniforms. 6) Santa is a Magic fan. 7) Just kidding about # 6. However, if Santa is an NBA fan, I’m guessing the fantasy element of the Magic’s name would prove alluring to Santa. Then again, maybe good ‘ole Saint Nick actually posts on New York Knicks message boards as “St. Knick.” Your guess is as good as mine.
- If the Spurs wish to notch another epic win streak, the upcoming stretch of games promises to be treacherous. Tuesday night, the Spurs face the slumping Los Angeles Lakers, losers of two straight, including an embarrassing Christmas day pummeling at the hands of LeBron’s Miami Heat.
Spurs Upcoming Schedule:
- Tuesday, December 28 - Home vs. Los Angeles Lakers - 7:30 PM - Fox Sports Southwest and NBA TV
- Thursday, December 30 - Away vs. Dallas Mavericks - 8:30 PM - TNT
- Saturday, January 1 - Home vs. Oklahoma City Thunder - 7:30 PM - Fox Sports Southwest
- DeJuan Blair’s Twitter Affirmation of the Week - Here.
- Chris Quinn would like some Aspirin - Ouch.
- Tiago Splitter turns 25 on Saturday, January 1. Happy Birthday!
- Gravity poked Blake Griffin on Facebook and he promptly clicked “ignore” - Wow.
- This picture encapsulates the horror Steve Nash feels waking up every morning as a Phoenix Sun, but he’s too much of a company man to admit that.
- Rafflin' Ron Ron - For $2 per raffle ticket at a five-ticket minimum, Ron Artest’s 2009-2010 Championship Ring could’ve been your’s. The raffle raised more than $500,000 for youth mental health issues.
- Random Wrestling Reference - Speaking of Ron Artest, did you ever watch wrestling in the late-90s? Before it “got all fake”. The wrestler, Bill Goldberg who never lost, going 173-0, turns 44, today. Goldberg was famous for two things - 1) His tribal arm tattoo. 2) Finishing his baby-oiled opponents with a spear. This was all a circuitous method of showing you Ron Artest’s incidental impression of Goldberg.
- Miami’s Megalomaniac wants sponsors for his “Full Court Birthday Celebration” as he turns 26, this Thursday. For $500,000 you can see what underachieving looks like, up close and personal.
NBA Standings 1-5, as of Monday, December 27 at 11 AM -
Western Conference - 1) San Antonio Spurs (26-4) 2) Dallas Mavericks (23-5), 3) Los Angeles Lakers (21-9) 4) Utah Jazz (21-9) 5) Oklahoma City (21-10)
Eastern Conference - 1) Boston Celtics (23-5), 2) Miami Heat (23-9), 3) Chicago Bulls (19-10) 4) Orlando Magic (18-12) 5) New York Knicks (18-12)