The San Antonio Opera Board of Directors announced Wednesday that it has cancelled the February production of “Don Giovanni.” According to the press release, the opera "will use the hiatus to attempt to address the organization’s financial obligations with creditors as well as plan for the next phase in the future of the regional opera company."
An article in the San Antonio Express-News states that those obligations include outstanding expenses for last June's Plácido Domingo concert, as well as ongoing payments to musicians who had been contracted to perform in “Daughter of the Regiment,” a January 2010 production that was canceled. No exact figures were immediately available.
“Despite the cancellation of‘Don Giovanni’, it is our hope at this time to continue our season in June with the production of Rossini’s ‘The Barber of Seville’,” says San Antonio Opera Board President Jorge del Alamo.
“Certainly this is a tough time for arts organizations across the country and our organization is no exception. However, the San Antonio Opera would like to assure our patrons and the entire San Antonio community that our organization is making every effort to ensure we can continue to serve the city and its arts patrons,” says del Alamo.
The SA Opera began in 1996 as the San Antonio Pocket Opera. The company's founder and director, Mark A. Richter, resigned November 15. He was replaced by Terrence Frazor.
The Opera has been expected to be one of the resident companies of the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, slated to open on the River Walk in 2014. However, last February, Tobin Theatre Arts Fund Director Mel Weingart announced he was leading efforts to begin another company, tentatively named Opera Theater San Antonio. Confusion between the two opera company names, in addition to financial difficulties, have plagued the SA Opera in its 16th season. — Scott Andrews
Support Local Journalism.
Join the San Antonio Current Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the San Antonio Press Club for as little as $5 a month.