With the release of Jon Favreau's newest flick, Chef we've compiled a list of top memorable fictional chefs in television and film:
1. Bob Belcher- In this animated comedy, Bob Belcher (voiced by H. Jon Benjamin) must deal with daily hijinks such as teaching his daughter Tina how to drive, challenging his nemesis Jimmy Pesto for the high score in Burger Boss and rescuing his family from a giant robotic shark, all while serving up scrumptious burgers, whose names often include puns.
2. Lafayette- When Lafayette isn't combating feisty vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters or evil spirits, you can find him at Merlotte's Bar and Grill, cooking up some soul food and delivering some sassy behavior in the little town of Bon Temps.
3. Swedish Chef- Leave it up to the guy with big eyebrows to ensue chaos in The Muppet Show. I mean look at this face:
Photo Courtesy of Muppets Studio, LLC
4. Sookie- In the 2000s drama Gilmore Girls, Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter Rory were just trying to make it through life, one movie reference at a time. However, it was Lorelai's best friend and right-hand "woman" Sookie St. James (played by Melissa McCarthy) who always knew how to create the perfect dish at the Dragonfly Inn.
5. Chef- South Park's favorite cafeteria worker is known for his catchy one-liners and advice to the children of South Park Elementary. The late Isaac Hayes, who was a soul singer, voiced the memorable character.
6. Remy and Linguini- In Ratatouille, a squeamish garbage boy named Linguini finds an unlikely friend in the furry rodent, Remy. The two join forces to create signature dishes and change the way cuisine is perceived in the late 2000's.
7. Willy Wonka- The man in the purple suit is technically a chocolatier with his treasured Willy Wonka bars. The movie, based on the Ronald Dahl book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, taught us the lesson of self-control. Now if he could only get those pesky kids away from all of his delicious creations.
8. Spongebob Squarepants- Our list wouldn't be complete without Bikini Bottom's most notable chef who lives in a pineapple under the sea.
9. Julie Powell and Julia Child in Julie & Julia- After a series of disappointments with her current job, Julie Powell is inspired by the great Julia Child to pursue her own culinary path by recreating many of the chef's famous dishes. Powell (played by Amy Adams) puts her cooking skills on the chopping block in this 2009 drama/comedy.