Lick co-owner Anthony Sobotick and one of the employees at the newly opened shop.
Lick Ice Cream (312 Pearl Pkwy) opens it doors today. Here are a few things to know before you go:
1. I don't want to bury the lede: The store will offer one free scoop in the standard cup from 7-10 p.m. Go to there.
2. Owners Chad Palmatier and native Texas Anthony Sobotik opened the Austin location in October 2011. Since then, they've accrued some 40 whole sale accounts including Central Market across the state.
3. The first flavor was cilantro lime which uses Texas Valley limes for its signature subtle tartness. Being able to source a variety of ingredients from across Texas is one of the reasons Sobotik convinced Palmatier to relocate. They use produce from New Braunfels, Floresville, dairy from McGregor outside of Waco and lavender from the Hill Country to name a few.
4. While ice cream is king at Lick, and Sobotik focuses on making each scoop as flavorful as possible (case in point the Ranch Road a take on Rocky Road with malted chocolate ice cream, lightly salted and roasted almonds and handmade marshmallows), the shop does offer ice cream floats made with Dublin sodas.
5. There are 26 flavors in rotation, 20 of which make it into the freezer every day. Ten flavors are available year-round, and Lick switches out seasonal offerings every eight weeks.
The store hours are: Tuesday through Thursday, from 11:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., and Sunday from 11:30 until 10:00 p.m.
Support Local Journalism.
Join the San Antonio Current Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the San Antonio Press Club for as little as $5 a month.