The bean counters over at Del Monte have conducted a survey of 1,500 Americans regarding their fondness for the classic Thanksgiving staple, green bean casserole.
According to the Del Monte Green Bean Index, Texas ranks #14 in the top 20 states that love them some green bean casserole. 65% of Texans polled admitted to either “really liking” or “loving” the dish.
The results are pretty all over the place, with no one bean-loving region in particular dominating the top spots. Kentucky ranks #1 with 78% of its surveyed residents professing their love for the gooey, onion-y, cream of mushroom concoction.
Del Monte also asked each state what their favorite “secret ingredients” were to include in their casseroles. Bacon and cheese took the top two spots overall. I am sure Texans resoundingly voted for bacon. Bacon on everything, please.
Apparently there will be about 30 million green bean casseroles served this Thanksgiving. While there is nothing wrong with the old standby recipe which involves pouring a couple cans each of green beans and cream of mushroom soup into a dish then covering it with French fried onions, here’s to hoping more green bean casseroles contain bacon and cheese this year. Here' s a recipe to make sure that happens.
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole with Bacon
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 39 minutes
Yield : 6-8
• 4 (14 ounce) cans green beans
• 4 strips bacon
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1 cup milk
• 2 tablespoons sour cream
• 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup French's French Fried Onions
1. Gather your ingredients.
2. Dice the bacon and add to a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
3. Add flour to the bacon drippings and whisk to combine over medium heat. Continue whisking for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, sour cream, and crisped bacon. Continue stirring until mixture has thickened to a gravy consistency. Remove from heat.
4. Add your green beans and bacon mixture to a large bowl and stir to coat the green beans.
5. Spread green bean mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Top with shredded cheese and fried onions. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and taste. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as needed.
7. Serve your delicious casserole!