Last week, Noodle Tree chef and owner Mike Nguyen spoke to the Current about his decision not to reopen his dining room due to concerns about customer safety and his own health.
Over the weekend, CNN anchor Erin Burnett also spoke to Nguyen, allowing him to share his story with the nation.
“You’re battling cancer yourself, your grandmother died from coronavirus, just what you’re dealing with right now is overwhelming," Burnett said as the segment opened. “At the same time, you’re dealing with a business that you can’t keep shut much longer.”
View this post on Instagram
In case y’all missed it here is our segment with Erin Burnett on CNN. • • #noodletreetx #satxfood #sananotniofood #instafood #foodie #noodles #ramen #comfortfood #yum #localsa #safoodie #safood #safoodiegram #saeats #ramen #safoodpics #sanantonioeats #satxeats #eater #eatersanantonio #yelpsanantonio #eater #eatertexas #sanantoniofoodie #sanantoniofood #sanantonioeats #texasfoodie #cnn #cnnnews
Nguyen remained steadfast in his decision to keep his UTSA-area eatery closed for the time being, even though Texas Gov. Greg Abbott cleared the way for restaurants to open on May 1 at 25% capacity.
“I have a financial responsibility to run this business,” Nguyen said. “At the end of the day, it was that the money was not worth losing lives over.”
So many restaurants, so little time. Find out the latest San Antonio dining news with our Flavor Friday Newsletter.
San Antonio Current works for you, and your support is essential.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of San Antonio and beyond.
Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.
Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep San Antonio's true free press free.