San Antonio’s Martin Luther King Jr. March is the largest in the country.
Photo by Jaime Monzon
San Pedro Springs Park is the second oldest park in the entire country, and the oldest in Texas. During the Civil War, it was used as a camp for prisoners of war. Today you’ll find the San Pedro Library, a swimming pool, a skate plaza and more than 60 hiking trails.
In 1923, high school teacher Ellen Schultz wanted to start a museum in San Antonio. Along with other local residents and students, she helped raise funds by selling bluebonnets and cakes. They raised enough money to acquire the well-known H.P. Attwater natural history collection, the Witte Museum’s first collection.
In 2011, the West Side community gathered at Lanier HS to set a Guinness World Record of the most tamales ever made. During the 10-hour giant tamalada, 1,300 students and volunteers made 17,106 tamales.
Before his days in the White House, former president Theodore Resident recruited his famous Rough Riders over at the Menger Hotel. There’s even some memorabilia on display at the hotel today. The hotel, built in 1859, itself is the oldest continuously operating hotel west of the Mississippi River.
Katherine Stinson, the namesake for Stinson Middle School, was the fourth woman to receive a pilot’s license in the U.S. She lived in San Antonio in the early 1900s and was the first woman to perform a loop-the-loop maneuver. Stinson Municipal Airport is named after her family, full of pilots, and is the second oldest municipal airport in the country.
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church is the home to quite a bit of history. President Lyndon B. Johnson married Lady Bird Johnson here in November 1934 after only dating for less than 3 months. The bell at the church was cast from a bronze cannon, most likely from the Alamo. It was found buried in a backyard not too far from the Alamo.
Courtesy of LBJ Library
The Alamo Mission's original name – Mission San Antonio de Valero – honors St. Anthony of Padua and the Spanish viceroy to New Spain, Baltasar de Zúñiga, the Marquis of Valero, who granted permission to build the mission.
Known as the “Sporting District” in the early 20th century, SA was home to the largest red-light district in the state and third largest in the U.S. Although prostitution was illegal in the city, the mayor at the time allowed prostitutes to work inside a 10-block radius near Market Square.