- Facebook / Lucy Adame-Clark
- State Rep. Leo Pacheco has left the Texas House to teach at San Antonio College.
The deadline was 5 p.m. Monday.
Pacheco gave up his seat in House District 118 last month to take a job at San Antonio College. The district is friendly territory for Democrats, though Republicans have set their sights on it as they try to make South Texas a new battleground in 2022.
The candidates who filed include three Democrats and two Republicans. They are:
- Democrat Katie Farias, a member of the Southside Independent School District Board of Managers
- Republican John Lujan, former HD-118 representative
- Democrat Desi Martinez, prominent trial attorney
- Democrat Frank Ramirez, former zoning and planning director for the City of San Antonio
- Republican Adam Salyer, the 2020 GOP nominee for the seat.
Early voting for the special election starts in a week.The Texas Tribune is a nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization that informs Texans — and engages with them — about public policy, politics, government and statewide issues.
Stay on top of San Antonio news and views. Sign up for our Weekly Headlines Newsletter.