- Via Justin Rodriguez's Facebook page
- Former state Rep. Justin Rodriguez addresses county officials during his swearing in as Bexar County Commissioner.
Rodriguez, a Democrat, gave up the seat to represent House District 125 this month to replace Bexar County Commissioner Paul Elizondo. Elizondo, a longtime local power broker, died in December at age 83.
The candidates vying to replace Rodriguez are:
- Steve Huerta, Democrat, a social justice activist
- Ray Lopez, Democrat, a former San Antonio council member
- Fred Rangel, Republican, a small business owner
- Coda Rayo-Garza, Democrat, an education policy expert
- Art Reyna, Democrat, who represented the district from 1997 to 2003
Candidates had until 5 p.m. Monday to file. Early voting in the special election starts January 28. Whoever wins will need to hit the ground running — the Texas Legislature is more than a week into its current session.
Stay on top of San Antonio news and views. Sign up for our Weekly Headlines Newsletter.