News » News Features

News Party lines



Diamond shined, mom didn’t

Two-year-old Diamond Alexander Washington was a loving child. She liked to play, expressed herself well, and was energetic. She had a loving relationship with her foster parents.

All that changed on March 31, 2004, the day she was returned by the state to the custody of her mother, Kimberly Alexander.

Witnesses who visited the child could see a transformation. Alexander did not play with Diamond, and bestowed no affection upon her daughter.

Diamond needed love. She needed affection. She needed some more potty training.

But what she got instead was a slow, torturous beating on June 5, 2004, that put her in the hospital on life support. She later was pronounced dead, and after a witness came forward, Alexander was charged with murder.

“Diamond was frightened

of her mother. She would

go slowly when her mom

called her over.”

– Elizabeth Youngblood

Elizabeth Youngblood slept on a pallet on the floor of the living room in an apartment on Ray Bon Drive that was occupied by Alexander and her husband Tarri Washington, their infant son, Tarri Jr, and Diamond. According to Youngblood’s testimony in District Court last week, she and Alexander had spent the night of June 4 watching DVDs. The next day, around noon, Diamond wet herself.

Alexander became enraged.

Youngblood says she saw Alexander’s interactions with Diamond over the two weeks that she had lived at the apartment. Alexander would play with Tarri Jr., but forced Diamond to stand to the side and watch.

“You pissy little bitch,” Alexander allegedly told Diamond after she wet herself. “Frankly, I don’t give a fuck if you go back (to your foster parents).”

Youngblood says Alexander would make Diamond wear soiled clothing, or sleep in wet bedding.

“Diamond was frightened of her mother. She would go slowly when her mom called her over,” Youngblood testified. “Diamond never crawled into her mom’s lap.”

Diamond was forced to stand on the carpet during the last hours of her life and Alexander hit her with the TV remote control. Alexander stood Diamond in front of her, and struck her in the chest and sent her sprawling. Diamond whined, but did not cry.

Alexander hit her child in the chest again, and again.

Diamond stood in front of her mother all afternoon, and never cried as her mother beat her.

“You’re gonna quit pissing,” she said, and punched Diamond in the chest again.

“I said ‘damn, Kim, what are you doing?”’ testified Youngblood, who is reportedly a certified nurse’s assistant, but did nothing to protect the little girl.

The last time Diamond was punched in the chest and sent flying, she got up more slowly, but dutifully returned to stand in front of her mother.

“This my motherfucking child,” Alexander allegedly told her roommate. “Mind your business.”

Diamond wet herself again, and Alexander allegedly told Youngblood to fetch a vacuum cleaner attachment from the closet. Initially, Alexander pounded the floor with the 18-inch, hard plastic attachment.

“I’m tired of you,” she said, according to Youngblood’s testimony.

Alexander hit Diamond’s bare feet with the attachment. Diamond danced to avoid the pain. Alexander hit her on the legs, and then moved up her back and around to her chest, then she hit her on the head.

Diamond never cried.

Alexander dealt a final blow to the top of Diamond’s skull, and the baby dropped to the floor.

She never got up.

At press time, Alexander faced a jury on a murder charge, in which she faces a possible life sentence. And her defense attorney is talking to the judge about bringing Youngblood up on “accomplice witness” charges.

What about the father? Why didn’t he protect his daughter? He was nowhere in sight last week as the trial progressed.

Diamond was a loving child.

Alexander was not a loving mother.

By Michael Cary

Support Local Journalism.
Join the San Antonio Current Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the San Antonio Press Club for as little as $5 a month.