The ramen portion of the philanthropic watering hole known as Cherrity Bar will open its doors today.
Owned by Pam and David Malley, Cherrity Bar takes up 22,000 square feet at the corner of Montana and Cherry. The charity part of Cherrity (get it?) Bar means the bar donates 100 percent of the profits from the bar to area nonprofits who apply to become one of the monthly beneficiaries. Of the 100, 10 percent goes towards the Tourette Association of America. The remaining 90 percent is split 60/30/10 to partner charities. First, second and third place are chosen by bar-goers who buy a drink or $10 of food, and receive a token for voting. Voting takes place inside a small hallway that includes four ballot boxes and literature on each nonprofit participating that month.
Charities are chosen by the Friends of the Cherrity Bar, a group of 20 community leaders with diverse backgrounds.
The Ramen Bar, a Michael Sohocki project, will hold its grand opening Friday from 5 to 11 p.m. the compound will feature a small menu of appetizers (gyoza, yakitori, sishito peppers, edamame, and tebasaki or chicken wings) ranging from $4 to $7 and a limited menu of noodles including miso ($8), shoyu ramen ($10), and yakisoba ($11).
Current competing charities include SA Pets Alive, Habitat for Humanity and Haven for Hope, each with a cocktail crafted for their audience.
Regular hours for the ramen bar will be 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.