Put down that chicken. (CC)
Gross, gross, gross: Fran's Fryers, a Milford, Texas-based is recalling almost 300 pounds of raw chicken and turkey "because they were produced without the benefit of federal inspection," the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced this afternoon.
The lack of federal inspection likely happened due to a "miscommunication" between the plant and the FSIS on Veterans Day, November 11.
Although a low health risk concern, and no illnesses have been reported as of yet, the products were shipped across Texas. Items bear the establishment number “P 20784” inside the USDA mark of inspection. Recall items include:
- 2-lb. packages of “Boneless Dark 2# Chicken Leg Meat”
- 2-lb. and 5-lb. packages of “Chicken Breast Tenders”
- 3-lb. and 5-lb. packages of “Chicken Bone In Breast”
- 5-lb. package of “Ground Turkey 5#”
- 5-lb. packages of “Cut Up Fryer”
- 5-lb. packages of “Whole Fryers"
Consumers who have questions about the recall can contact the plant manager, Brady Sweet, at (972) 493-5305.