Music » Music Stories & Interviews

Rejoice! The San Antonio Symphony Is Back for the Season

by

comment
SHUTTERSTOCK
  • shutterstock
With financial problems now being addressed, the San Antonio Symphony will complete the remainder of the 2017-2018 season, according to a press release.

Recap: The San Antonio Symphony had donors (H-E-B, the Tobin Endowment and the Kronkosky Charitable Foundation) set to contribute to the San Antonio Symphony, but backed out of the deal after discovering a potential $8.9 million pension liability, leaving the future of the orchestra in doubt.

Basically, the large funders were worried that the Symphony Society wouldn’t stay within budget and after a marathon meeting last week, the board decided to suspend operations of the orchestra at midnight last Sunday and cancel the remainder of the 2017-18 season.

The San Antonio City Council considered a plan that would allocate previously budgeted funds to support the symphony as fundraising, operational and performance milestones are achieved over the next six months. The FY 2018 City budget includes $614,000 for the symphony, of which $368,400 remains. Payments were temporarily halted pending a decision about the current concert season.

On Saturday, the San Antonio Symphony announced that the majority of their 2017-2018 season will continue, as the musicians and Board of Directors have approved a modified schedule and secured details keeping an orchestral presence in the Alamo City fulfilling the 2017-2018 Season.

“The Symphony will continue to bring thrilling symphonic music to our community at large, with performances for all ages reinstated for the remainder of the scheduled 2017-18 Season.” said Board Chair of the Symphony Society of San Antonio Kathleen Weir Vale in a press release.

“We thank all who support our city’s Symphony, particularly those who have stepped up, helping this organization sustain a prosperous future; sharing their knowledge, time, dedication, and financial support,” said Vale.

The revised schedule offers patrons a continued solid line-up of performances and purchased tickets are still valid for all scheduled events for the San Antonio Symphony 2017-2018 season. The revisions include two program changes and just a handful of events have been removed from the Season.

Program Change:

Dvorak’s 8th scheduled for 3/9/2018 – 3/10/2018 has changed and will no longer be the 8th. The program, still being held the same dates, will be Dvorak 9.

Purchased tickets for 3/9/18 or 3/10/18 are valid for the new program, Dvorak 9.

Moser Performs Elgar scheduled for 4/13/2018 – 4/14/2018 has changed and will no longer feature Moser. The program, still being held the same dates, will be Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9.

Purchased tickets for 4/13/18 or 4/14/18 are valid for the new program, Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9.

Events Removed:

Elgar: Enigma Variations previously scheduled for 2/2/18 – 2/3/18

Rachmaninoff’s 3rd Symphony previously scheduled for 4/6/18 – 4/7/18

Patriotic Pops previously scheduled for Sunday, 5/27/18

Tickets for the remainder of the 2017-2018 Season are on sale now, including next weekend’s Classical Mystery Tour at The Tobin Center. To purchase tickets and see a complete lineup of events visit sasymphony.org. Ticket holders with any questions regarding these changes, refunds, exchanges or donations are asked to contact the San Antonio Symphony directly at 210-554-1000.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the San Antonio Current Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the San Antonio Press Club for as little as $5 a month.