- Ted Cruz Campaign
- Sen. Ted Cruz and Kim Davis today following her release from jail.
Rowan County clerk Kim "Contempt" Davis was ordered released from jail today and ordered not to interfere with the issuance of marriage licenses to same-sex couples looking to tie the knot.
A judge threw her in the slammer last Thursday for her refusal to comply with the Supreme Court's ruling that paved the way for same-sex couples to get married.
This afternoon, do-nothing-but-campaign-and-complain Senator Ted Cruz, along with zealot Mike Huckabee, both presidential candidates, had planned visits with the conservative same-sex marriage ruling martyr while crowds of her supporters waited outside, the Associated Press reports.
It's not clear whether they met with Davis, but the Associated Press' story indicated that Cruz and Huckabee both went inside the jail.
When Cruz heard the news of Davis' release, he thanked God.
Cruz is using Davis' refusal to issue the licenses to show his "Christian" values to potential voters from the Evangelical base and has called the nation's highest court's ruling "lawless."
“Today, judicial lawlessness crossed into judicial tyranny. Today, for the first time ever, the government arrested a Christian woman for living according to her faith. This is wrong. This is not America," Cruz said in a statement about Davis' arrest that he shared on social media outlets when her release was announced. “I stand with Kim Davis. Unequivocally. I stand with every American that the Obama Administration is trying to force to choose between honoring his or her faith or complying with a lawless court opinion."
While many politicians may not be soaked in the legalese of the United States' judicial system, 99 percent of lawyers understand that what the Supreme Court says goes. Cruz, being the other 1 percent, has repeatedly described the Supreme Court's ruling as oppression.
“Kim Davis should not be in jail. We are a country founded on Judeo-Christian values, founded by those fleeing religious oppression and seeking a land where we could worship God and live according to our faith, without being imprisoned for doing so," Cruz said in the statement.
Davis was jailed for refusing to obey the Supreme Court's marriage ruling.
Cruz, like the lawyer he is, has a way with words, doesn't he?
The thing is, Cruz should know better but we shouldn't be surprised.
According to the State Bar of Texas, Cruz is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court, along with nine other federal courts. However, despite his law background, he's always used his degree to pursue political ambitions, including working on impeachment proceedings against President Bill Clinton; assembling President George W. Bush's legal team during the 2000 Florida recount case; and moving on to be one of Texas' conservative crusaders as the Lone Star State's solicitor general.
So rest assured, if Cruz is somehow elected to the White Office, he will probably only work to undo all of President Barack Obama's work, along with placing Evangelical conservative values over the interests of any American who doesn't fit in that demographic.
His rhetoric surrounding the Kentucky clerk and he allegations that the Supreme Court's same-sex marriage ruling is "lawless" should be just another warning sign that Cruz believes this country is only fit for conservative Christians.