Several years ago when I first talked with Firecat Studios Susan Price about TEDx, she called TED talks 'brain candy.' This year, the 'San Antonio Sampler' was a delicious assortment. As twenty-two speakers each took the stage with their own unique ideas to share, we heard about the connection between nature, environment and the human soul. We were given encouragement for living our life's passion and said 'yes' to changing ourselves and the world.
Since I live-tweeted the whole show--a performance I will not retweet--I tried to pick out the nougats, uh nuggets. Really, sitting in the audience is the only way to make it an experience--which is the whole point. But, still, here are a few things I learned at #tedxsa
- Education should include global competence--Dr. Shari Albright
- San Antonio is the go-to city in the U.S. for military medicine--Col. Todd Rassmussen
- More trees enable safer neighborhoods, healthier lives, and more intelligent and attentive learners--Paul Johnson
- There are billion and billion of promiscuous bacteria and we don't stand a change without new antibiotic research--Dr. Karl Klose
- Life is short, build a ranch, and pick your bull wisely!--Linda Perez
- Broadband access is our digital future--Leticia Ozuna
- Being silent helps you become a better listener--Gage Paine
- The first sound you hear is a beat--Dale Monnin--who gave us all drums and had us beat the heck out of them--so much for silence!
Check the TEDXSanAntonio website for links to pictures and the TEDxSA videos which will be live in a few weeks.
About TED and TEDx
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Tedx, x = independently organized event, that brings people together to share a TED-like experience. TEDxSanAntonio is small group of organized and volunteers licensed by TED to hold San Antonio’s TEDx event.
About Laura Carter aka Beyond Paychecks
San Antonio activist and nonprofit veteran Laura Carter believes in enabling the community to work from the heart, not just the wallet. Laura is currently Communications Director at Providence Catholic School where her job includes working with traditional, creative and social media public relations and marketing.
Photo credit. Paul Johnson with tree, Charles Mims
Gage Paine featured picture and Dale Monnin with drums, Davis Staedtler