Please take a few minutes to help us craft our council candidate questionnaire. Beginning next Wednesday, we'll email it to all of the candidates who file (deadline's March 9, tortoises). They'll have until March 20 to craft compelling answers. We'll run them in their entirety online, and print excerpts in our April 1 issue (no foolin'!).
Here are a few subjects on our mind, to get your juices flowing. Add your suggestions in the comments box, or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Do you support the addition of two new nuclear power plants to the South Texas Project to meet our future energy needs? If not, please describe the alternatives you favor. If so, please explain your position or philosophy on the long-term storage of nuclear-fuel waste.
2. Do you support Mayor Hardberger's Mission Verde initiative in its entirety? If so, what do you see as the most critical steps council must take to implement it successfully? If not, do you support any of its provisions, and why (not)?
3. What is the right mix of public-transit options for San Antonio's future, and what do you think is the best method to fund/maintain each element?
4. If San Antonio faces a budget shortfall, where would you be willing to make budget cuts?
5. What are your top spending priorities for the HOT tax? Would you support a recommendation to use some of those funds to expand the Convention Center?
6. Please briefly describe your conception of San Antonio's economy, its strengths and weaknesses, and what you would do to build on the former and address the latter?
7. Keeping in mind the playground scandal, the Healy-Murphy Park sale, and the El Mercado flap, how would you increase accountability and transparency at City Hall? Specifically, would you change the role or method of choosing a City Auditor, and his/her scope of authority?
8. Do you support extending the digital-billboard pilot program? If so, what restrictions, if any, would you recommend on their placement and use?
9. Do you support SAWS' current plans to secure San Antonio's water supply? If so, please explain why. If not, please explain what you believe they should be doing differently.
10. If we have not included an issue that is particularly important to you as a candidate, or that you feel is vital for City Council to address during your term in office, please discuss it here.