Officer-involved Shooting at Super 8 Downtown

by

Updated at 9:58 a.m., Tuesday, September 10, 2013

dsc_7673jpg

Photo by Bryan Rindfuss

It's not every day breaking news happens at your office doorstep, but driving to work this morning, all my usual routes were blocked by police.

Earlier this morning, there was an officer-involved shooting at the Super 8 motel on North St. Mary's and Quincy, near the I-35 underpass. (The Current is just a couple blocks down on St. Mary's). That part is confirmed by San Antonio Police Department. Judging by the no less than 16 (counting the helicopter) police units surrounding the Super 8, and the many other SAPD clearing roads in the Super 8's general vicinity, I'd say the shooting suspect is still at the Super 8 and seems to be in a standoff with police. (UPDATE: SAPD confirms that the suspect, a male in his late 30s) is still believed to be "contained" in a room at the Super 8, SWAT negotiators are on the scene). A full police report will be issued later today, but we've heard the initial impetus for the shooting was a domestic disturbance call. (UPDATE: SAPD confirmed that the officers were responding to a 7:53 AM family disturbance call. The suspect shot through the door). We do not know the condition of either the officer or the suspect at this time, although our neighbors at KSAT have reported that the officer suffered a shot to the upper torso and was transported to a hospital. UPDATE: SAPD reports that the officer, an eight-year veteran with the department, was struck in the head when the suspect shot through the door. He has been taken to the San Antonio Military Medical Center and is expected to survive. UPDATE: At 10:50 a.m. Police Chief William McManus delivered a statement to media on the scene. McManus says it was an off-duty officer who escorted the injured officer to the hospital.  The seriously wounded officer is said to be in stable condition and expected to survive. SWAT is currently negotiating with the suspect, but McManus says while there is an "open line of communication" via phone, "very little contact" and conversation has been made so far. Officers are speaking with the suspect's family, but they are not involved with negotiations. Details about the suspect were not released, but SAPD officials say he is a San Antonio resident. SAPD confirm they have evacuated everyone at the Super 8 Motel who is considered "in the line of danger." The reason for the disturbance call is not yet clear.

UPDATE: The 37-year-old suspect accused of shooting 34-year-old SAPD Officer Aaron Terrazas in the head this morning before engaging in a day-long standoff with police and SWAT at a downtown motel has reportedly surrendered. UPDATE: The suspect has been identified as 38-year-old Melvin McKinney, according to SAPD. McKinney was charged with assault bodily injury (bond set at $7,000) and aggravated assault of a public servant (bond set at $250,000). The suspect's record shows he was previously charged with possession of a controlled substance.

We'll update more as soon as we know.

comment