1. To Help During Shutdown, Man Mows Lawn Around Lincoln Memorial ""These are our memorials. Do they think that we're just going to let them go to hell? No," Cox told All-News 99.1. "If they shut down our memorials, we're still going to take the trash out, we're going to clean the windows, we're going to cut the grass, we're going to pull the weeds, we're going to do the tree work." (NPR)
2. 55 Awesome Halloween Costume Ideas "If you're looking for a costume idea, here are some of the best!" (mental_floss)
3. VIDEO: Watch Kristen Wiig and Tobey Maguire in the Trailer for IFC's 'Spoils of Babylon', Coming Jan. 9th "Here's the brand new trailer for The Spoils of Babylon, a new IFC miniseries from Funny or Die. Created by Andrew Steele and Matt Piedmont (Casa de mi Padre), the show is a six-part parody of epic '80s miniseries like The Thorn Birds in the form of an overdramatic adaptation of a novel by Eric Jonrosh (Will Ferrell). Kristen Wiig, Tobey Maguire, Jessica Alba, Tim Robbins, Val Kilmer, Haley Joel Osment, Michael Sheen, Jellybean Howie, and Steve Tom also star. IFC announced today that the show will premiere with two back-to-back episodes on Thursday, January 9th at 10pm." (Splitsider)
4. 34 Grandmothers Around The World And What They Cook "Gabriele Galimberti pays homage to all the grandmothers in the world and to their love for good cooking, starting from his own very Tuscan grandmother Marisa who, before the departure for his tour around the world by couchsurfing, took care to prepare her renowned “ravioli ripieni.” She was not so concerned about the possible risks or mishaps her grandson might face in his adventurous travelling worldwide, but her major concern was, “what will he eat”?" (Gabriele Galimberti)
5. 21st century Gypsies: Stunning pictures show how new-age travellers are now adopting traditional horse-drawn caravans "Photographer Iain McKell, who has followed a small group of travellers for over 10 years, has published a stunning new photo book called 'The New Gypsies', published by Prestel Publishing, charting the changes in their life-style." (Daily Mail)
6. http://drunkdialcongress.org/ Yup.
7. Study: We'll Enjoy Food More if You Don't Instagram It "A recent study published in the Journal of Consumer Psychology suggests that spending time focusing on images of food makes the food itself less satisfying." (The Atlantic)
8. The Last Ride of a Cleveland Hells Angel Informant and Early Bandidos Member "It was there in his cell with his pal "Bobby Dean" that Crouch first fell in love with the idea of riding motorcycles. He'd never owned a bike before, but he would tell friends years later that he and Bobby would hear a motorcycle ride past their window every night, and idle talk and curiosity turned to romanticized dreams of open roads and brotherhood and starting a club. Crouch left prison first, and when Bobby's release finally came, the two bought motorcycles and helped form a Texas chapter of the still young Grim Reapers MC. Crouch patched over as one of the early members of the notorious Bandidos—"one of the First seven," he would write to an acquaintance last year —which were born in 1966 in Texas." (Cleveland Scene)
9. Highest paid Texas employees (Houston Chronicle)
10. 16-Year-Old Malala Yousafzai Leaves Jon Stewart Speechless With Comment About Pacifism "Malala Yousafzai, the 16-year-old Pakistani advocate for womens rights and access to education, appeared on the Daily Show last night, ahead of Friday's pending announcement for the 2013 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize." (Business Insider)
San Antonio Current works for you, and your support is essential.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of San Antonio and beyond.
Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.
Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep San Antonio's true free press free.