1. SCIENCE, BITCH!: Brains Sweep Themselves Clean Of Toxins During Sleep ""It's like a dishwasher," says Dr. Maiken Nedergaard, a professor of neurosurgery at the University of Rochester and an author of the study in Science." (NPR)
2. EDUCATION: How a Radical New Teaching Method Could Unleash a Generation of Geniuses "He started by telling them that there were kids in other parts of the world who could memorize pi to hundreds of decimal points. They could write symphonies and build robots and airplanes. Most people wouldn’t think that the students at José Urbina López could do those kinds of things. Kids just across the border in Brownsville, Texas, had laptops, high-speed Internet, and tutoring, while in Matamoros the students had intermittent electricity, few computers, limited Internet, and sometimes not enough to eat. “But you do have one thing that makes you the equal of any kid in the world,” Juárez Correa said. “Potential.” (Wired)
3. SCIENCE, BITCH!: Move over, Proust: New theory explains where old memories go "Research out of Johns Hopkins reveals why some memories disappear, some remain, and others blend with fiction" (Salon)
4. PHOTOS: A Photographer Turns Her Lens On Men Who Catcall "Social media was abuzz this week with photographer Hannah Price's portraits of men who catcalled her on the street. We first saw the story on The Morning News, where Price was briefly interviewed. We wanted to indulge our curiosity about Price and her work, so we decided to give her a call." (NPR)
5. TIMELINE: Shutdown and Debt Ceiling "A look at the competing proposals between the House and the Senate before and during the government shutdown — and the ongoing negotiations to prevent breaching the nation’s debt limit." (NYT)
6. VIDEO: Little Boy Provides Adorable Potty Commentary After Eating Way Too Much "We've all been there: You've had way too much apple. And poutine. And cheesestring. And pickle chips. And peanut butter and raisins. Ugh. And chocolate thingies. And more chocolate thingis. And gummies." (Gawker)
7. FYI: The San Antonio Herb Market returns this Saturday at The Pearl "The market, now in its 22nd year, will be on Pearl Parkway and Avenue A. Hours are from 9 a,n, – 3 p.m. with free admission, free seminars and free parking. Pearl Parkway will be closed to traffic, as the Herb Market takes over." (Savor SA)
8. ORLY?: San Antonio an option for Chargers if NFL team bolts, San Diego columnist says "There is a good chance, perhaps an ever-increasing chance, that the San Diego Chargers will throw up their hands, end their quest for a new stadium in Southern California and move to another market." (SABJ)
9. FACEPALM: 14 Awful "Sexy" Halloween Costumes Sexy highlighter. Sexy Bert & Ernie. Is this real life? (Once Upon a Product)
10. LOLZ: This is what BuzzFeed articles look like without GIFs (Tumblr)
San Antonio Current works for you, and your support is essential.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of San Antonio and beyond.
Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.
Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep San Antonio's true free press free.