2. A Wondrous GIF Shows the Most Popular Baby Names for Girls Since 1960 "My friend Judy used to always say that whenever she met another Judy, she knew exactly how old that Judy was—to the day. Now that level of precision might be a bit of a stretch, but, as the above map wonderfully shows, there's good reason for that line of thinking. The most popular baby girl names in the United States are flashes in the pan—each one appearing on the map briefly, before being swept out by an up-and-comer." (The Atlantic)
3. UT-Austin Announces Gift to College of Communication "The University of Texas at Austin announced on Monday a $50 million gift from the Moody Foundation to its College of Communication, which will be renamed the Moody College of Communication." (The Texas Tribune)
5. 6-Year-Old Texan Sets Half-Marathon World Record "This Texas youngster ran a half marathon in under 3 hours." (Competitor)
6. VIDEO: Behold a NASCAR-Inspired Bacon-Infused Beer Milkshake Coming to Texas "Way to go, Texas, you now have your own novelty beer and bacon milkshake. Levys Restaurants and the Texas Motor Speedway have partnered to create the Shake 'n Bacon Brew, a milkshake made with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream, Rahr & Sons Ugly Pug Black Lager, bacon-infused maple syrup, whipped cream, and a bacon garnish." (Eater)
7. Texas Textbook Publishers Say No To Creationism: Watchdog Report "It appears that science is prevailing in the latest battle over Texas schoolbooks. Though earlier this year several of the state’s textbook reviewers called for biology textbooks to discuss creationism, publishers are not complying with those requests, according to the Texas Freedom Network. The nonpartisan watchdog examined material made public by the Texas Education Agency and found that publishers are sticking with teaching evolution." (Huffington Post)
8. 30 Moments That Could Only Ever Happen In Texas "Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose. #TEXASFOREVER" (Buzzfeed)
9. No Texas Republican Voted to Reopen US Government or Avoid Default "The federal government is open once more and our economy avoided default! And it was without the help of any Republican from Texas." (Burnt Orange Report)
10. Mexican drug lord murdered by a clown "If you have a fear of clowns, it’s now totally justified: The oldest brother of one of the most notorious drug trafficking families was murdered by a clown in a resort in Los Cabos last Friday. According to the Daily Mail, Francisco Rafael Arellano Felix—a former leader of the Tijuana Cartel—was shot in the head and chest while at a family gathering. The gunman then fled the scene, likely aided by his enormous shoes." (Death and Taxes)
Support Local Journalism.
Join the San Antonio Current Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the San Antonio Press Club for as little as $5 a month.