2. Zagat highlights San Antonio in its latest culinary tour "In its latest multi-city roundup, 50 States, 50 Burgers, Zagat has awarded the Texas trophy to the Bean and Frito Burger at the Bracken Store Cafe." (SBJ)
3. 114-year-old McGregor woman dies; was oldest living Texan "A McGregor woman whose life spanned three centuries and was recognized as the oldest living Texan will be laid to rest Friday." (WacoTrib)
4. Darwin inspired Hitler: Lies they teach in Texas "One of these books blamed Darwin’s theory of evolution for the Holocaust: "[Hitler] has written that the Aryan (German) race would be the leader in all human progress. To accomplish that goal, all “lower races” should either be enslaved or eliminated. Apparently the theory of evolution and its “survival of the fittest” philosophy had taken root in Hitler’s warped mind." (Salon)
5. Texas Judge Forced To Resign After Being Caught Texting Instructions To Assistant DA During Trial "The agreement comes in the wake of a recent investigation revealing Coker texted instructions from the bench to a Polk County Assistant District Attorney who was assisting in the prosecution of a case in Coker's court." (Tech Dirt)
6. Op-Ed: Why I Chained Myself to an ICE Prison–and Why You Should, Too "I grabbed my bandana and prepared to chain myself to the entrance of one of the largest detention centers with the worst reputation in the United States." (Alternet)
7. UT Astronomers Discover Farthest Known Galaxy "As the McDonald Observatory gears up to celebrate its 75th year as an internationally renowned scientific hub, astronomers at UT have yet another landmark discovery to be proud of: spotting and measuring the most distant galaxy ever found." (UT: Know)
8. Wal-Mart studies HEB for lesson in ‘fresh’ "...Wal-Mart opened an office in San Antonio to work with HEB vendors to learn how to do fresh better, specifically meat and produce. At the time, he said “people still want to feel their apples before buying them,” which is why he believes mainstream grocery delivery in the U.S. in still years away." (The City Wire)
9. Texas leads the nation in flu cases "Three weeks into flu season, Texas tops the nation in patients reporting flu-like symptoms, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention." (Star-Telegram)
10. The 'Arrested Development' Soundtrack Will Be Out on November 19 "The 42 track album will include tracks from all four years of AD's run, including "Temocil" from the The Dr. Fünke's 100% Natural Good-Time Family Band Solution, GOB and Franklin's "It Ain't Easy Being White" and a full version of season 4 pop hit "Getaway" by Mark Cherry. Check out the full track list here." (Splitsider)
BONUS! 8 Goosebumps-Inspired Halloween Costumes "October 31st is approaching! Time to bring the R.L. Stine-induced nightmares of your childhood to life." (BuzzFeed)
San Antonio Current works for you, and your support is essential.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of San Antonio and beyond.
Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.
Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep San Antonio's true free press free.