RIP San Antonio Zoo Komodo Dragon. Photo via Creative Commons Images.
While there was no huge blaze, heavy smoke engulfed the reptile enclosure and led to the death of the 15-year-old female Komodo dragon. Zoo keepers were able to save her counterpart, a 25-year-old male Komodo, from the zoo fire.
Dozens of other reptiles– including a 22-foot long, 300-lb. python – were evacuated from the premises. The fire, which began in the reptile enclosure, is said to have possibly been caused by an electrical wiring problem in the Komodo dragon area heating unit– while the zoo remains open, this area is expected to be closed for six to eight months.
“It's depressing,” San Antonio Zoo Director Steve McCusker told the San Antonio Express-News. “Everybody's got sort of a lump in their stomach.”
According to the Smithsonian National Zoo, Komodo Dragons are the largest living lizards (the longest one measures more than 10 feet and weighs 336 pounds). They're also rare– because of their limited range, they're listed as an endangered species.
No other injuries were reported.
Support Local Journalism.
Join the San Antonio Current Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the San Antonio Press Club for as little as $5 a month.