Family Of Man Killed By Deputies Sues

by

enhanced-28484-1441083146-1.png

The relatives of Gilbert Flores, who was shot and killed by two Bexar County deputies last month, has filed a lawsuit against the county, the sheriff's office and the two officers who pulled the trigger, alleging a civil rights violation, the San Antonio Express-News reports.

Flores was shot and killed on August 28 after a domestic disturbance. In a recording of the shooting, he appeared to have his hands up. Another video of the incident that hasn't been released supposedly shows Flores holding a knife.

Just over a week ago, the District Attorney's office announced that the sheriff's office turned the case over to the DA.

"We do not have an exact timeline for the completion of our review, but we will be working iligently [sic] on the case," the DA's office said in a statement.

That statement said the DA is awaiting results of "expert forensic analysis" from agencies working with the sheriff's office, explaining that it could take several months.

According to the Express-News' report, the lawsuit seeks to stop any manipulation of the second video, which was sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety for enhancement.

The San Antonio Current and other media outlets have requested the disciplinary histories of the two deputies —  Greg Vasquez and Robert Sanchez — but the county has asked the Attorney General to rule on the request.


comment