In celebration of the of the Fiesta Oyster Bake's 100th anniversary, here's a timeline of the event's history:
The Fiesta Oyster Bake proceeds fund the following:
70+ St. Mary's University students receive full or partial tuition scholarships or other financial assistance
The Fiesta Oyster Bake is coordinated by the following:
- Payment for $3.1 million gift for the Alumni Athletics and Convocation Center
- Programs benefiting the St. Mary's University faculty and academic schools
- Programs benefiting the St. Mary's University student organizations
- Programs benefiting the St. Mary's University alumni worldwide
- Programs benefiting the San Antonio area community
The Fiesta Oyster Bake offers a wide variety of the following foods, beverages and entertainment:
- 7,000 Volunteers contributing 50,000 Volunteer Hours
- 13 Member Executive Committee
- 2 Full-Time Staff members
- Several part-time/contract employees
- 100,000 Oysters (baked, fried and raw)
- 32,000 Chicken on a Stick (Fried Chicken Breasts w/jalapeno)
- 8,500 Steak on a Stick
- 7,000 Egg Rolls
- 6,000 Fried Cheesecakes
- 5,000 Turkey Legs
- 5,000 Hamburgers
- 4,000 Ears of Corn
- 4,000 Slices of Pizza
- 3,500 lbs. Sausage
- 3,000 lbs. Beef and Chicken Fajitas
- 2,000 Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 22,000 gal. Beverages (beer, soda, water, lemonade, etc.)
- 375,000 Napkins
- 10,000 lbs of recycled Oyster Shells
- 10,000 lbs of recycled material (aluminum, plastic, cardboard, paper, etc.)
- 35 Bands / Entertainers
- Darrell Stewart was awarded the 2012 Volunteer of the Year by the Texas Festivals and Events Association, and was a 2013 finalist for the International Festivals and Events Association Volunteer of the Year.
- Steve Rosenauer was awarded with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Texas Festivals and Events Association
- Corinne Vela Zapata was awarded the 2006 Volunteer of the Year by the Texas Festivals and Events Association, and in 2005, she became the first female Fiesta Oyster Bake Chair.
- The Fiesta Oyster Bake annually has received numerous local, state and international awards for marketing, publicity, volunteerism, sponsorship, etc.
- The Fiesta Oyster Bake was recognized by the Texas Festivals and Events Association and the International Festivals and Events Association as the "Best Event to Benefit a Charity"
- Fiesta Oyster Bake volunteer, Herman Ahr, was the 2003 Texas Festivals and Events Association Volunteer of the Year and the 2003 finalist for the International Festivals and Events Association Volunteer of the Year.
- Fiesta Oyster Bake Executive Director, Steve Rosenauer, was the 2003 Texas Festivals and Events Association’s Carson Watt Professional of the Year.
- Programs benefiting the San Antonio area community.
Fiesta Oyster Bake Details:
Friday, April 15, 5-11 p.m.
Saturday, April 16 11 a.m. to11 p.m.
Campus of St. Mary’s University, One Camino Santa Maria
$25 (Available April 1 to April 16, 2016, at all participating HEB Stores)
$35 (present your two-day pre-sale ticket at an entrance gate on Friday to receive your two-day admission wristband)
Friday at the gate:
$25 Saturday at the gate: $25Children 12 and under are admitted free.
Check out more at oysterbake.com