Courtesy of the San Antonio Fire Department
When the San Antonio Fire Department arrived at the scene of a fire that had engulfed a West Side used car business this morning, two clues tipped them off that the fire had not been an accident: The strong smell of gasoline, and a burning shoe in the parking lot.
Firefighters arrived at the scene in the 1000 block of Enrique M. Barrera Parkway at around 5:30 a.m. to put out the fire, which did not affect the two businesses on either side of it, according to KSAT
. Fire Captain Robert Sepulveda told the news station
that a witness had seen someone throw something into the window before running off — and firefighters believe the person may have accidentally set themselves on fire in the process.
The owner of the used car lot told KSAT he was worried about losing important paperwork relating to his cars. The building owner, who also showed up at the scene, also told the news station that someone had broken into the management office in the building (which was one of the businesses next to the car lot office) that same night. It’s unclear if the two incidents are related, and a suspect has yet to be arrested.