SAFD Investigating Cause of Morning Explosion in Southside Hotel Room

by

comment
Two people are being treated for burns following an explosion at a Southside motel early Friday morning.

Firefighters responded to the scene of Ever-Kleen Motel near Mission ConcepciĆ³n around 4 a.m. after an explosion started a fire in one of the rooms. A man and a woman were taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center to treat first-degree burns, with one individual having burns on 70 percent of their body and the other victim with 30 percent of their body burned. A third person was treated for smoke inhalation.



San Antonio Fire Chief Charles Hood told News4SA that the explosion blew the room's door off the hinges. A total of 18 guests were evacuated from the four damaged rooms and were later relocated.

The cause of the explosion is still being investigated, but some possible causes include a gas leak or cooking of an illegal substance. Hood has not confirmed any of the suspicions. 



Support Local Journalism.
Join the San Antonio Current Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the San Antonio Press Club for as little as $5 a month.