“Spontaneously combusting” tortilla chips caused two fires in a Southeast Austin factory last week, breaking the hearts of nacho-loving firefighters responding to the scene.
The Austin Fire Department shared on Wednesday that the fires occured on the evenings of July 12 and 15 at a tortilla chip factory at 6110 Trade Center Drive. Officials said that on both occasions firefighters witnessed cardboard boxes full of discarded chips combust seemingly without cause.
“The factory in question was trying out a new way to handle the waste from the chips that, suffice it to say, didn’t work out so well,” the department said on its Facebook page
. “The fire was confined to the exterior of the building and to multiple pallets of food waste, but large cardboard boxes of the same waste continued to ignite while we were on scene!”
Three days after the initial incident, boxes that had not been involved in the first fire burst into flames, forcing firefighters to douse all remaining boxes with water to eliminate chances of another fire starting.
“Imagine how distressed we were to be called to a fire at a tortilla chip factory earlier this week…not once, but twice!” officials said on Facebook.
Naturally, Facebook users were quick to pour out the jokes.
How could something so delicious be so dangerous? Our Texan hearts are broken.
Stay on top of San Antonio news and views. Sign up for our Weekly Headlines Newsletter.