Instagram / touchetstravels
Enchanted Rock is warning visitors to keep their pets safe after three dogs died at the park last week.
In a weekend social-media post, the state park said the dogs all suffered a heat-related illness that ultimately led to their deaths. Two dogs died on the same day and the third at a later date, but all showed symptoms of dehydration. Park officials did not disclose whether the pets belonged to the same owner or not.
severity of the heat
is made more serious by the fact that Enchanted Rock is a granite park.
"All of the area is granite, and that tends to be a lot hotter than the temperature outside," Stephanie Garcia, spokeswoman for Texas Parks and Wildlife, told the San Antonio Express-News. "There was one day recently that the outside temperature was 99 degrees, but the granite was 130."
Recently, the outside temperature has gotten as high as 100-plus.
Still, park officials said there are several ways pet owners can make sure their dogs stay healthy while visiting the park. Visiting before the temperatures get too hot, checking the weather beforehand and bringing extra water are all essential to ensure pet safety.
Additionally, the American Veterinary Medical Association suggested shade, sunscreen and even warm-weather grooming as ways to help keep your pet cool. Taking breaks and looking for warning signs such as anxiousness, excessive panting or drooling, restlessness and abnormal gum or tongue color can make all the difference in making sure your dog doesn't overheat.
According to park officials, sometimes the best precaution is to just keep your pets at home.
Stay on top of San Antonio news and views. Sign up for our Weekly Headlines Newsletter.